Flossing for the first time can be tricky if you are not careful. Your gums may not yet be prepared for flossing and can be harmed from improper skills such as applying too much pressure when cleaning. Flossing is a skill that will benefit you your entire life, so even if you have been flossing for years, there is always room for improvement.
To keep you from starting off with ineffective flossing technique, we have the following recommendations to improve your oral health care flossing habits:
- Never use random materials for dental floss. Only use floss or interdental cleaners recommended by your dentist.
- Choose dental floss that has the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
- Prevent damage to your teeth and gums by flossing softly and safely.
- When flossing, use a piece between 16-20 inches in length. Move to a different section of thread for each tooth. Use a gentle motion to move to or from each tooth.
- Don’t forget to floss between every single tooth and behind your back teeth.
- Always floss at least once per day.
- Avoid using floss that can easily tear or fray.
- Be sure to visit your dentist at Berryville Dental Associates for your professional cleanings as scheduled.
To schedule an oral exam with Dr. Gina Kaiser or Dr. Nicole Malony, we invite you to call us at 540-955-0270 to speak to a member of our caring team. Our office is conveniently located in Berryville, Virginia, and we look forward to crafting the smile of your dreams!